Sexual Assault Injuries
If you or a loved one has been Sexually Assaulted, the pain can be hard to bear. To be taken advantage of, and often be completely powerless, can change a person’s worldview forever. The initial stages of anger are often focused on the perpetrator; what would cause someone to do something so heinous? However, as time goes on, many victims and their loved one begin to ask more questions. Who else could have stopped this?
The sad fact is that many sexual assaults happen in places that we are supposed to be kept safe. It’s rare that a sexual assault happens randomly in the classic sense. Instead, they happen under the guise of someone you should trust. A company, nonprofit, or other institution either fails to uphold its duty or turns a blind eye, and sexual assaults happen.Where Do Sexual Assaults Happen?
In short: anywhere and everywhere. However, we see cases brought against the following:
- Religious Organizations: As we’ve seen over the past 20 years, religious institutions can harbor predators that take advantage of those in vulnerable situations.
- Police Officers: We often see police officers abuse their extreme power and assault marginalized populations who think that no one will believe that they’re the victim of police officer abuse.
- Schools: Maybe the most tragic of all sexual assault scenarios, it’s not uncommon for teachers or other school administrators to abuse their power over a child to sexually assault them.
- Bars: Just because you’ve had a couple drinks doesn’t mean that someone else has a license to be able to assault you. Bars serve alcohol and have a responsibility to keep its patrons safe from other patrons. Many bartenders don’t keep a watchful eye on their clientele, leading to alcohol-fueled sexual assaults.
- Workplace Assaults: Any time a supervisor has power over another employee, it can create a situation that can be taken advantage of. Whether it’s threatening an employee to be fired or withholding a promotion that has otherwise been earned, sexual assaults are not just how business gets done.
No matter where a sexual assault happens, the fact remains that when a person is assaulted, it can uproot not only their own lives, but also the lives of their family. Whether it’s a spouse, parent, child, or other relative, a loved one’s continued emotional pain can have an effect on those around him/her. At the same time, sexual assault victims often had various family obligations prior to the assault. Those who relied on victims end up having to shoulder more of the burden while also worrying about the well-being of their loved one.Experienced, Compassionate Attorneys
At Marcotte Law Firm, we have experience obtaining not only compensation for these victims, but also justice. We understand that no matter how much money a settlement includes, it’s more important to ensure that victims are given the opportunity to heal in their own way at their own pace.
If you or a loved one has been assaulted, it’s important to seek out someone who will be able to guide you through this situation and resolve your claims in a way that’s best for you. If you find yourself in this situation, call our experienced attorneys for a free, no obligation consultation.